Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Color of Love,The Family of God

While walking the other day at a near by park I saw a little boy who happened to be Caucasian playing; I thought nothing of it then I heard him call out "ma" the only lady that was near him was African American. I was focused on exercising so I didn't think anything of it so I just continued to walk by and as I did he saw me and kindly said "hello"...I spoke back and continued on my walk. After I finished walking I let my little girl who had come with me play on the playground. The little boy who I had seen earlier had began to approach a group of African American children apprehensively, they waved for him to come join them and they began to play on the merry go round. While playing one of the little kids asked him "where's your momma at?" He replied "she's right there" pointing to the African American lady who had been there with him all along; "oh...really?" she asked "yeah" replied the boy and they continued to play. I sat there enjoying the moment for the longest watching the children play with no regard to their differences; it was beautiful and innocent. Years ago while watching a game show I found myself rooting for an African American lady (I am African American) and God began to convict me. "Why do you want her to win?" was the question he spoke to my spirit. I did not respond and I didn't need to; God had searched my heart and exposed something within it that even I did not know was there. He then spoke to my spirit "that lady could be a murderer, a child molester...you don't know; just because the two of you have the same color skin doesn't mean you're anything alike; you could have way more in common with the white male or female." I really began to rethink things after that day. I had always considered myself open minded; I was educated and had traveled overseas and that exposure really caused me to befriend all races. Still God had found hidden, silent traces of the residue of racism in my heart. During the Presidential Election I knew that racism would rare its head but I saw it in some people I never would have expected to see it in and it hurted. As we as a Nation and the Body of Christ are exposed to more diversity and as color barriers are being broken. I pray that we will begin to judge people as one man of insight so eloquently put it "by our character" and as one far greater than us all tried to teach us...by the spirit. 2 Corinthians 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we [him] no more. Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 1John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? Mark 3:35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lukewarm by Grace

Psalm 23

Psalm 91

Mother and Child